Wednesday 23rd September 2026 - Chew Valley Lake

 

Today someone had a birthday so to celebrate it he (well me) took his wife Mary to Chew Valley lake for a fish and chip lunch at Salt And Malt, well it would be rude going there and not do some bird spotting as a birthday treat. As well as a treat it was to drive our new car as far as I have driven it so far. I lost my nerve in the past and would only drive short distances but this car is a hybrid and so easy to drive and my confidence is slowly returning. I’m hoping to be able to drive to Devon soon so keep reading future blogs.

Well Chew was reached stopping at Herriotts where we had our coffee that we took with us and with it finished it was time for some spotting. Setting up the telescope Mute Swans were easy to see and through the scope Lapwing, Mallard and Black Headed Gulls were found plus a Green Sandpiper. Scanning the edge of the island Moorhen, Gadwall, Teal and Shoveler were sighted then probably the most exciting bird of the day was found a Lesser Yellowlegs a North American bird that normally winters in southern America or Mexico, this one is a juvenile that has found its way to this side of the Atlantic, not the 1st to do so as they are found in Britain most years in fact we had one at Pilning Wetlands in 2024. It was sharing the water with a small group of Snipe. I was just about to cross the road when a flock of about 20 Cattle Egrets flew past and out over the lake. The water level is so low  you need a telescope and with it I added Great White Egret, Little Egret, Coot and Grey Heron. I then spotted 3 Spoonbills like the yellowlegs a year first for me, also seen on the lake were Great Crested Grebes. We moved on to Herons Green where the water is so low a road and bridge that were flooded to form the reservoir are now exposed. The 1st new bird for the day here were Tufted Ducks and while scanning the waterline I found several Ringed Plovers along with 2 Dunlin, And a Black Tailed Godwit. 

Distant Black Tailed Godwit plus Teal and BH Gull
Herons Green (Bath Birdwatcher)
Plus a small that refused to stay still and give me a good view but in the end and a bit of patience I was able to confirm it was a Little Stint another year first. Great Black Back Gull and Little Grebe were also seen. Time for lunch so I drove to the picnic area where we shared fish and chips but it was still too big a portion and some chips had to be thrown away. Birding wise I added 3 goose species Canada, Greylag and Egyptian plus a single Pied Wagtail. We had planned to stop on the way home for tea and cake but we had a shopping deliver for 3-4pm and as it was now after 2 we decided to stop at Herriotts for ice cream in fact a 99 while Mary got the ice cream I added Lesser Black Back and Herring Gull to my birthday list. And we arrived home in time before the shopping was delivered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday 7th June 2022 - Monkton Combe to Midford

Tuesday 8th April 2025 - Chew Valley Lake and Blagdon.

Tuesday 2nd September 2025 - Chew Valley Lalke